Low Environmental Impact Products & Ideas
Sustainable construction uses low environmental impact materials that are less or nontoxic combined with smaller designs. Keeping the principles of reduce, reuse and recycle from site planning and design through the entire construction process, helps to keep waste to a minimum.
One of the best ways to conserve resources is to build smaller but with more attention to detail. Building smaller uses less materials and consumes less energy than the typical new home being built. Smaller homes built right with the best materials will have less impact on the environment.
Reducing the amount of volatile organic compounds (VOC), formaldehyde and other toxins that are in various construction materials combined with proper whole house air exchanges, make for a healthier home. Low and no VOC paints, Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs), Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) and Icynene® foams are just a few of the products we use.
Recycled & Recyclable Materials
Structural Insulated Panels (SIPs)
- Lumber usage decreased by 77%
- 100% Recyclable!
- Less energy used reduces CO2 emissions
- Less waste and scraps generated
- Energy Star Partner
- “Engineered Wood” no old-growth forests harvested
- No urea formaldehydes, no ozone depleting CFC’s or CFC’s
- All components can be recycled
- Reduces dependence on foreign oil and gas
Eco Choice Carpeting
It’s made with Anso Caress® Nylon containing post-consumer recycled carpet content.
It’s constructed of Type 6 Nylon, a recyclable carpet fiber. Carpets made of this fiber can be recycled over and over again into new carpet.
It features extended warranties protecting your flooring investment for up to 20 years, depending on your product selection.
Glass Counter Tops
- 100% of the glass is recycled.
- Alternative to using non-renewable resources (like virgin granite, for example), and provides a new market for recycled glass, including glass that cannot be recycled elsewhere. Even reusing glass to create bottles or fiberglass comes with a HUGE energy cost.
- Composite made from recycled paper and proprietary, petroleum-free phenolic resins made from raw materials like cashew nut shell liquid.
- Resistant to staining in kitchen applications.
- Tested and certified as non-detectable for formaldehyde.
Oriented Strand Board (OSB) Products
Providing improved uniformity, strength and versatility compared to other construction panels, Oriented Strand Board (OSB) evolved from waferboard in the late 1970s. Since its introduction, OSB has been widely accepted and has virtually replaced other building panels in new residential construction in many areas in North America.
The cork oak tree is not destroyed and then replanted but rather the bark is trimmed from the tree every 9 years, leaving the tree and the forest undamaged. Its not unusual to have a 200 year old tree still producing cork bark. Cork flooring is actually made from the waste of the cork wine stopper manufacturing process so cork flooring is a recycled product.
Mao (Moso) bamboo is specially cultivated and harvested, without damaging the ecological system of renewal. Every year the parent bamboo plant develops new stems, so the stems can be harvested after 6 years in a mature plantation without decreasing the size of the forest.